For those who are new to Reiki (pronounced Ray-Key), it is a Japanese word that means Universal Life Force Energy. Simply put, it is the energy which animates us, it is in every living thing, and is found all around us. A Reiki Practitioner is someone who has been attuned to these energies and has been taught how to channel them. The Practitioner is not the source of the healing, the channeled Reiki energy is the source of the healing. It is a dance between the Reiki energy and the client’s willingness to heal that decides (consciously or subconsciously) what level of healing happens in a session. Reiki is an intelligent energy that knows where to go in the body and knows the exact right amount of energy to facilitate healing within us. Reiki works to help heal us on our emotional, physical, and mental levels. It harmonizes and balances our bodies so that we can feel calm, relaxed, nurtured, and de-stressed. There are no spiritual beliefs that you need to hold for Reiki to work. It’s energy. Energy doesn’t care what religion you are or aren’t. It does not discriminate. All you need is a willingness to be open to receive it.
Reiki For Health
When the flow of the “Life Force Energy” within us has been weakened, blocked, or disrupted, then mental, emotional, and health problems can occur. There may be many sources and situations in our lives that can cause us to become imbalanced. Such as: emotional or physical trauma, injury, chronic health problems, emotions that are not expressed in a healthy way, negative self talk and the inability to love oneself or others, negative thoughts and feelings that include fear, worry, anger, anxiety, doubt… Reiki is such a wonderful healing modality that helps to heal the whole person – mind, body, and spirit – as well the physical symptoms that imbalances can create.
“Some” of the Benefits
The reason I titled it “Some”, is that Reiki has numerous health benefits. Everybody’s experience and healing level with Reiki will be different. Just like all of us are different, our situations and healing needs will be different, so will our experience with Reiki be different. So, let me list some of the common health benefits that Reiki may help with. This by no means is a complete list.
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension
- Aids better sleep
- It accelerates the body’s self-healing abilities
- Helps relieve pain
- Supports the immune system
- Reduces some of the side effects of drugs and helps the body to recover from surgery and chemotherapy
- It compliments and enhances the health care received in a hospital or from other health care providers
- Assists the body in clearing itself from toxins
- Removes energy blockages, bringing the body into balance and harmony
- Releases suppressed and blocked emotions due to past traumas
- Giving us a sense of being wrapped in a warm blanket of love (ok, this one may sound corny, but I know, that’s how I feel sometimes when the Reiki energy is flowing through me)
The list could go on and on, because the benefits of Reiki really are endless!